Nottingham Forest players involved as gunmen attack and two kill persons

Nottingham Forest duo Orel Mangala and Anthony Elanga were at the Euro 2024 qualifier which was abandoned at half-time after two people were shot dead in Brussels

After two individuals were shot dead in Brussels on Monday night, the Euro 2024 qualifying match between Belgium and Sweden was called off before halftime. Nottingham Forest players were present.

The act is being regarded as terrorism and the victims were both Swedish. The incident happened around three miles from the stadium and about 45 minutes before kickoff.

Orel Mangala of Forest started the game for Belgium and played for the first 45 minutes, while Anthony Elanga of the Reds was named to Sweden’s bench. After learning of the incident, both sets of players reportedly elected not to return for the second half of the game, which was tied 1-1 at the break.

Chelsea’s top transfer target for Nottingham Forest is prepared to go in the January transfer window.

READ MORE: Simon Jordan condemns Roy Keane as a shocking job link involves a former Nottingham Forest player

Play has been suspended as a result of the disturbances in Brussels earlier this evening, according to the Belgian national team’s Twitter account on X, formerly Twitter. All those affected are in our thoughts.

The UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying match between Belgium and Sweden was eventually abandoned, but it took over an hour before the decision was made. “Following a suspected terrorist attack in Brussels this evening, it has been decided, after consultation with the two teams and the local police authorities, that the match is abandoned,” read a statement from UEFA. “Additional communication will be made as appropriate.”

The players’ decision to stay in for the second half of the game was verified by Sweden manager Janne Andersson after the game. He said at a press conference, “I felt it was utterly unbelievable.

“In what type of a world do we currently reside? I almost started crying when I heard it because I was supposed to be having a wonderful conversation with the teammates. We all agreed without a doubt that we didn’t want to continue playing out of respect for the victims and their families when the team first got together.

Fans were kept inside the stadium for their own safety once the abandonment was verified. Just after 11 p.m. UK time, the 35,000 people in attendance were successfully evacuated.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.